HIST 370 A History of Christianity in Medieval Europe
St. Augustine, Confessions
Directions: Read Books II; V-VIII. These questions refer to Books II, V-VIII, but if you read more, you may certainly bring in other issues from your reading. You need to address/respond to all of the issues listed below. Length 4-5 pages.
Your source should be http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/1101.htm
Click the link above, and you will find the Books, and when you click the books you will find the chapters.
1) What is important about the pear stealing incident in Book II that is so critical?
2) Who were the Manichees? What did they believe, & what attracted Augustine to their teachings? Later, why did he begin to question their views?
3) What factors (people, teachings, experiences, etc.) begin to move Augustine toward Christian faith at the end of Book V & in Book VI?
4) What were the philosophical and/or theological issues that most perplexed Augustine in his youth & young manhood? (Be ready to give specific examples or references.)
5) In Book VII Augustine acknowledges that he benefitted from the books of the “Platonists”, i.e. Neo-Platonists. How was he helped by Neo-Platonic philosophy? Where does he part company with the Neo-Platonists?
6) At what point in his account would you say that Augustine was “converted” to Christianity? How does Augustine understand conversion?
Format and Citation – You should use the Chicago Manual of Style format. A condensed form of this can be found in Kate L. Turabian’s A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more