Managing Files and Folders
Have you ever “lost” a file on your computer? Did you save it somewhere but when you came back to open it again you could not find it?
Windows has a great tool for organizing your files called the File Explorer. Before starting to use File Explorer you need to know some terms.
Save or Save As allows you to store a file somewhere on your computer’s hard drive.
A File is any kind of document, image, or anything you Save on your computer’s hard drive, on a cloud server (OneDrive), or another memory device like a Flash Drive or external hard drive.
A Folder is a place where you can Save one or many files.
You can create Folders inside of other Folders.
Think of the File Explorer as a file cabinet. Each drawer is a Folder. Inside each Drawer (Folder) there may be many other folders. For example, think of your top file cabinet drawer as a Folder you created and titled “College Work.” Open the College Work drawer and you can add a folder for each college course (FOS100, CIS105, SOC100, ENG115, etc.). In the CIS105 folder you can add (create) a folder for each: Week (Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, etc.). Or you could organize your CISS105 folder another way. You could make folders based on assignment types like Discussions, Lectures, Quizzes, Assignments, etc. It is up to you to decide how to organize your files and folders. Come up with a method that makes sense to you.
File Management System refers to the method or way you choose to organize your folder and the files within those folders.
For this discussionyou need to organize the files and folders on your computer and then tell your classmates about it. Also, respond to their folder management set up.
What you are being asked to do for this discussion:
Prepare: Go to YouTube and watch a video you find about: How to Organize Folders in Windows 10. (Search YouTube: How to Organize Folders in Windows) Figure 1
1. Tell what you learned about organizing files and folders from the video you watched. What method do the presenters use?
2. *Copy (Ctrl C) and Paste (Ctrl V) the URL for that video into your discussion Reply so others can watch it too. (The URL is the internet address located in the address bar). Figure 1
Prepare: Set up your own File Management System on your computer including at least two levels of folders. Figure 2
3. Tell your classmates how your file management system helps you organize and find the files in your computer.
4. Take a **screenshot of your folders and insert it into your discussion Reply. Figure 2
5. Reply to at least one (1) other students’ discussion comments with at least 100 words each.
* How To Copy and Paste – Windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHwIYkiT7Rg
* How to Copy and Paste – Apple MacBook Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLVZr175R_s
** Screenshot Note: the Snipping Tool in Windows is a great tool to take snapshots with. You can select any part of your computer screen to share and take a snapshot (snippet) of it. It is easy to Save. Here are the Microsoft instructions for using the Snipping Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots